Short Term Study Visa for Over 18 Requirements
Requirements – for students who are at least 18
If you want to come to the UK under this route, you must meet all the following requirements:
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You have enough money to support yourself while you are in the UK. You need to show you can pay for your tuition fees, accommodation and living expenses
- You already have an unconditional offer to study in the UK
- The study is for no more than 6 months (this can include people on distance learning courses who only want to come to the UK for a few weeks at a time, or people coming to re-sit an exam, according to the Home Office’s modernised guidance for its staff. But read page 10 of their guidance carefully for a warning about not doing this too frequently)
- You do not intend to study in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive periods as a short-term student
- You intend to leave the UK at the end of the study or the end of 6 months, whichever of these is sooner
- You intend to study at an education provider which:
- holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence, or
- is accredited by a Home Office approved accreditation body, or
- is inspected, reviewed or audited by a Home Office approved inspection body, or
- is an overseas higher education institution offering only part of their programmes in the UK
The course does not need to lead to a specific qualification.
There are no minimum academic requirements for immigration purposes. The course can be at any level, but your course provider may have specific admissions criteria.
You are not required to have a minimum English language ability, but your course provider may have specific admissions criteria.
There are no minimum hours which you must be studying during your time in the UK. You can study part-time or full-time as a short-term student.
You cannot do any kind of work, work experience or work placement (even if it is part of your course, or is unpaid). You will not be allowed to do any business or professional activities in the UK.
You can change your course of study as long as the total length of the course is within the period of immigration permission you have been granted, and the place of study still meets the criteria.