The A-level qualification remains the standard method of progression to universities. HIC offers three main A-Level routes to university. HIC is a recognised examination centre for the following examinations board: AQA, OCR and Edexcel. AS and A-Level examinations are now taken in May and June only.
We offer the opportunity to study A-Levels over a wide range of options. A Level Courses are divided in three categories ; 1) One Year A-Level Intensive, 2)Two Years A-Level Regular and 3)18 Months Intensive A Level Programme
- One Year Intensive A Level Programme – This course offers an intensive approach to the candidate’s chosen subjects. This one-year focused approach is useful for candidates who have completed AS Levels and/or A Levels elsewhere however have not achieved their desired grades and therefore wish to retake their exams.
- Two Years A Level Regular Programme – This is designed for candidates who have completed their GCSE courses. Candidates will study 3 to 4 subjects in the AS Levels and prepare 3 of these subjects for their A levels. Very high calibre candidates may continue with all 4 subjects.
- 18 Months Intensive A Level Programme – Our 18 Months A Level Intensive Programme begins in January. It is particularly suitable for candidates who are wishing to retake the full 2-year A Level programme, but who were unable to begin in September, or who wish to change school after a term.
Subjects Offered: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Computer Science, Economics, English Language and Literature, Sociology, Psychology, Government and Politics, Law and Accounting.
Students aiming for top and very high profile UK universities such as Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial College, London School of Economics, or intending to read medicine are advised to offer A-Levels with top grades. As you will appreciate this not only requires academic ability but the discipline and the approach to become a high flier. Our role is to guide these students to meet their career aspirations. Studying A-Levels with us will maximise your future success.
Each student is given individual attention by personal tutor and subject teachers. The comfort of small class sizes promotes a better student- teacher relationship. The college is always helping students to reach their maximum potential by offering focused learning in small classes. Our high academic focus compliments student encouragement and friendly teacher-student relationship which together generates better grades for students. Our highly qualified and experienced teachers work with students using the SWOT analysis. This technique enables them to identify strengths and weaknesses of students, provide better opportunities to enhance their knowledge and confidence and eliminate threats like stress and imbalances.
HIC provides various engagement opportunities to students such as debates, work experiences and shadowing, external and internal exam preparation workshops, student assemblies, knowledge quizzes, external field trips and university preparation workshops. Revision and exam preparation classes provide students with that desired additional support which is needed to sustain in the competition, particularly in Medicine and Dentistry.
In short, Harrow Independent College helps students to reach their maximum potential using an appropriate blend of our 8 strengths to success, which are:
- Small class sizes with high academic focus
- Well qualified and highly experienced teachers
- Individual learning plans based on SWOT strategic planning matrix
- Tutorial sessions in addition to regular lessons
- Variety of engagement opportunities
- Additional revision and exam preparation classes
- Inbuilt University Preparation Program (UPP)
- Excellent record of university placements