HIC’s Guiding Principles (Ethos)
HIC provides a flexible framework for all students and staff. Alongside its existing principles and policies, it has strongly adapted to the reflective practice at work.
We believe that:
- Meaningful education creates a platform for all students to prepare, within and beyond the curriculum, for the demands and possibilities of life.
- Diversity, equality and professionalism provide opportunity.
- Differentiation in learning is a vital part of education as individual students are members of a wider student society.
- Students perform best in a setting enriched by encouragement and individual support.
- Students have to develop independence in education while safeguarding and promoting their welfare.
- Teaching should be academically challenging, interactive, stimulating and well-resourced.
- HIC should provide exceptional quality, not just to students, but also to all stakeholders (students, staff, parents, guardians, alumni and others).
- All stakeholders should participate in and be involved in the education at HIC in order to help students achieve their full potential.
- All teaching and non-teaching staff deserve respect, support in maintaining a healthy work-life balance, and appropriate training and professional development.
- Part of providing a meaningful education and preparing students for the future is to equip students with informative, practical and personalised career advice.