All full-time and part-time students aged 18 and over may be eligible for a Student Oyster Photocard, giving a 30 per cent travel discount on most Transport for London services.
30 per cent travel discount on 18+ Student Oyster Photocard
With a Student Oyster Photocard, you can buy Travel cards and Bus Passes at 30 per cent off the equivalent adult weekly and monthly fares.
You may apply between 1st September and 31st July, once you have fully enrolled for the academic year.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS CAN ONLY BE APPROVED BY HARROW INDEPENDENT COLLEGE FROM THE OFFICIAL FIRST DAY OF TERM ONWARDS. For 2020-21, this is 7th September 2020.
When applying for your TfL 18+ oyster card please ensure you search for ‘Harrow Independent College’ and ensure that the college address is listed as 308-310, Eastcote Lane, Harrow, HA2 9AH.
If you don’t apply to the correct college, your application will be rejected by another college or institution and you may have to make a new application and incur the £20 administration fee again.
Some important facts that you should know before applying your 18+ Student Oyster Photocard
(information available on TfL website)
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the Student Oyster Photocard, you must be:
- A student aged 18 or over
- Living at a London address during term time
- Enrolled with a participating school, college or university that’s registered on the TfL scheme.
You must also be one of the following:
- Enrolled on a full-time course including at least 15 tuition-led and/or structured learning hours a week (with attendance at scheduled classes being Monday to Friday only and not including evening classes) over a minimum of 14 weeks on the same course
- Receiving NHS bursary money* as a full-time student
- A full-time postgraduate student (for example, studying or writing up for 15 or more hours a week)
- A full-time student registered and studying on a higher education course with an education establishment not registered on the scheme, but on mandatory work placement in London for at least 14 weeks. You must still be under the pastoral care of your education establishment
- A sabbatical officer
- Enrolled on a part-time course lasting a period of at least 14 weeks and either:
- A part-time student receiving NHS bursary money* or
- A part-time postgraduate student receiving financial help from your education establishment as part of their Higher Education Council for England (HEFCE) discretionary additional support (such as Student Opportunity allocation or Access to Learning Fund)^
How do I apply?
Please apply online. Applying online is the only way to receive your discount entitlement. Your Student Oyster photocard will be sent to the address you provide and should arrive within five to seven days.
You will have to pay the £20 application fee using a credit/debit card in your own name and need a passport-sized digital photograph available to upload.
Where can I get further information?
Please visit the TFL website.